Friday, October 10, 2008

Response to Guest Speakers

Hmm...protest is a bit more complicated then I thought it would be. Kris Holstrom came in today, and gave us the "How to Protest 101". She's mostly an advocate for the environment, but her ideas are interesting and probably very effective.
She said that is important to play on peoples' emotions: negative ones can work the best, but positives could work too. In relation to my own protest, guilt would probably be the main emotion to play on. I mean, there is nothing positive about killing animals the way we do. Perhaps compassion could be used....but very few people have compassion for what they eat.
She also said to make connections for people. She also brought up another great point: how can you make it make sense to others? Well...in the case of what we eat, in our self-absorbed, body-image-freak society, telling them the effects of eating chickens that probably have multiple diseases or pigs made to sleep in unclean crates....yeah, that could work.
She makes me feel even more excited, really, about what I'm going to do. Because I'm so passionate about animal rights...just as she cares about the environment; maybe, if I work at it hard enough...then I can protest just as she does.

No comments: