Monday, October 13, 2008

Political Satire

Political jokes are just...pure brilliance. I mean, honestly, if you think about it, how does one best get across a point: by making it funny!
I think my favorite political satire I've seen is Earth to America. It was a two hour special on global warming, discussed by some of the best comedians out there. But it wasn't just comedians: the captain of Apollo 13, Robert Kennedy Jr, Blue Man Group, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw...they were all there, discussing global warming and our failing economy. It was hilarious! But not only that, it totally put things into perspective. They would vary it too: Cedric the Entertainer would come on, talking about how, instead of cars, we should use horse and buggy...but then again, how would that possibly work with our cellphone use? I think I sat their cracking up for a good twenty minutes, imagining, for example, my mom riding her horse to work while attempting to talk on her cellphone. But then the mood completely changed: the lighting dimmed down to a dark, opaque blue...and Leonardo Di Caprio came on. Images of the earth taken from space began to flood the screen, with surreal music and quotes from astronauts from all over the world; he then introduced the captain of the Apollo 13 mission, who talked, only for five minutes, but still, about his own experience in space. That part....seeing pictures of our Earth, our Mother...with no visible scars of war or of division of people, was so beautiful that I almost started to cry. Of course, I couldn't sit there and cry the whole time, because then Steve Martian, Tom Hanks, and that guy who does Monty Python came on and off I went again into fits of hysterical laughter.
I think it has to be a mix: the good half of it should be comedy...but then a teaspoon of music, a dash of tears...and there you have it: the perfect recipe for a good point.

No comments: