Friday, October 10, 2008

May 4th, 1970

While looking at the pictures and listening to Ms. McLaughlin's story, I was surprised and hurt by this tragic event. It was hard to believe that something like this happened, and could still easily happen today. Having the National Guard come to the campus because a couple of protesting students seems a little unnessesary, at least to me. Especially since student were hurt and even murdered. People should have a right to speak their mind and show their opinion without problems. These students were obviously passionate about something and wanted to have an effect. What parent would have thought that sending their child to college would end up in them being killed and gone forever. No one wants to hear about that. It is especially scary because I will be going to college in a few years, and an event like this could happen, and I definitely don't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That would be quite unfortunate. I hope that while I'm in college, I will get the opportunity to speak my mind without being hurt. I'm sure there will be obstacles, but hopefully none that are quite as serious. I have great respect for those involved in the May 4th event, and I look up to them for what they were trying to say and do.

No comments: