Friday, October 10, 2008

Protest Speakers

The guest speakers that were brought in this morning got me started on thinking, just in very different ways.

Kris helped me with my own protest, brining up good points. To begin with, it is not just enough to have a problem, but it is also necessary to make people care about the problem. You can do this by instilling many different emotions in people, but the bottom line is to make your protest powerful. Another thing she brought up is to have the solution handy when people ask for one. With out a solution, you will have brought up anger, fear, guilt, or any number of emotions and then offer the people nothing to work off of, leaving them helpless.

Sandy's presentation touched me on a more personal level. I enjoyed hearing about the Vietnam protests from someone who actually lived during that era, and had a first hand look at them. Once we got to the Ohio shooting on May 4, 1970, I felt something for the students that had lost their lives, though this was many years ago, and I never knew them. Seeing Sandy tear up about it and explain that things that hit you as a teen seem to be more powerful, staying with you throughout your life. I believe I know exactly what she is talking about, having a wound in my own mental that will forever bleed, though I was only in the seventh grade when it happened. The night of March 24 will stay with me forever, every image from sitting in the medical center up until the moment I had to call a friend and inform them of what had happened.

No comments: