Monday, October 13, 2008

Calvin and Hobbes

Though I have always been exposed to political satire, the first one that i exposed myself too was the comics of Calvin and Hobbes. These cartoons were a very important part of my early philosophical and politic education. All of the major moral issues are discussed in the strip, including family values, theft, education, environmentalism, war, and human fallibility. But unlike the many other ways that we are exposed to them daily Bill Waterson (the author) gives them too us through the eyes of a eccentric six year old. This important detail made Calvin the translator for putting earth 's many problems into a lingo that was approachable to my young mind. Yet the brilliance of Calvin and Hobbes does not stop at teenagedom. I still find myself enlightened as well as entertained when I come across one or Waterson's strips. I don't doubt that there is an issue dark and complex enough for Calvin and Hobbes to humanize, explain, and mock.

No comments: